What to expect at EKGA - Social Stories
What are Social Stories?
Social stories provide descriptions of particular situations or activities to children so they know what to expect. Descriptions may include:
● Rules to follow
● Physical spaces
● Expected behaviour
● Other children and adults social and emotional perspectives.
Research has shown that social stories assist children in:
● Coping with a change of routine and environment.
● Understanding social cues, emotions and expectations.
● Understanding expected behaviours.
● Sequencing and organising during the situation or activity.
Parents or caregivers can read the story to their child the day of their first class to assist in their preparation. Ideally, the story is read right before the class starts in a quiet and calm area (e.g. the car). If the parent or caregiver feels the child may need extra preparation, the social story can be read multiple times in the lead up to their first class. The social story takes approximately 5-7 minutes to read through.
If you think this may benefit you and your child, please use the links to download the relevant social story.
Starting an Independent Preschool class (eg going from 3&4 Year Olds class to Kinder 4&5s, Li'l Ninjas or Twirling Tumblers)